Monday, April 09, 2012

Faster?

I lost an afternoon of my life hammering my head against the stony face of a database, and got home late, where I then lost another hour of my life playing SSX.

I don't think I will play SSX again for a while, because it's not very enjoyable. As technology has improved, it hasn't made things more fun. Back in the old days, if you snowboarded off the side of the mountain, you'd lose some time and be dumped back on the piste. Now, you either fall down a bottomless pit and have to restart the whole level, or rewind back and watch your mistakes over and over. You never used to be able to rewind games: I think being able to do so gives full vent to obsessive compulsive behaviours, rather than to being able to lose yourself doing something fun. It becomes a chore when it should be about idiots falling down a mountain.

On the positive side, I'm taken in enough by the illusion to jump and duck as I go down the course, when I should be directing my avatar to do so. I suppose it's involving, at least.

There's only so long one can relax after a hard day's computering by playing computer games, so I went out for another run. That means I've done about 12 kilometres today, and I might be really struggling to get out of bed tomorrow.

But tomorrow is another day. Just. I guess staying up to watch a Peter Greenaway film may not have been the smartest decision...

0 comments:

Post a Comment