Thursday, August 02, 2012

Gin and things

I left the office early today, so I could get to the bar across the street and drink some gin. I got up at stupid o'clock this morning (5:45) so I could get my run in and still get to work on time, so the day was already long.

It was elongated further by being filled with phone calls, which ground on until the middle of the afternoon, and each started at least ten minutes late, for maximum frustration. After Telephone Torture, I had to build a new database to solve a very old problem, and even with three screens my eyes were going bendy, so leaving to be filled up with gin was more a tactical withdrawal than a retreat.

One of the bad things about drinking very strong gin on an empty stomach is that you get drunk quite fast. One of the good things about drinking very strong gin on an empty stomach is that you get drunk quite fast. Either way we were home by 8, having done the grocery shopping (which turned out to be a hand of bananas and two bags of Haribo sweets, but that's the peril of intoxicated shopping), so we were quite productive.

That left us with a Bourne film to watch (the new one is impending, so I figured it might be time to catch up). It's ten years since the first one was filmed: back then Doug Liman was famous for making Swingers, Pierce Brosnan was still James Bond, and it was acceptable to have fight scenes where you can't tell what's going on.

Actually, to be fair on Liman the fights are actually pretty well choreographed; I think it was later that the vogue for super choppy editting kicked in. Or maybe the gin smoothed it all out for me.

What will things be like in 2022 though? Will Daniel Craig be a caricature of suaveness? Will the director of a film about drunks be the saviour of the action genre? Will I be able to afford to keep drinking this gin?

0 comments:

Post a Comment